Listen to the inaugural WADEM Podcast!
In addition to its webinar series, WADEM is launching a new podcast series for 2018. The inaugural podcast is titled LSUHSC-Shreveport Physicians Respond to Evacuee Needs and is available below or by listening on the WADEM SoundCloud page.
Knox Andress from the Louisiana Poison Center describes how Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center – Shreveport physicians responded to medical needs of over 550 Hurricane “Harvey” evacuees, including children and the elderly, at the Jewella Critical Transportation Needs Shelter (CTNS) in Shreveport, Louisiana between 31 August and 6 September 2017.
The interview was conducted by Prof. Ally Hutton, WADEM’s VP for Special Interests and Activities, and recorded last December.
Read the Background Summary
PDM 32:6 (December 2017) is now on Cambridge Core!
The December issue (Volume 32, Issue 6) of Prehospital and Disaster Medicine (PDM) is now available through Cambridge Core. This issue includes two guest editorials featuring EMS-related issues, as well as three Letters to the Editor.
WADEM members have unlimited access to every issue of PDM through Cambridge Core. Please check back often for the most recent content in disaster and emergency health!
Please log into the website and click on the PDM graphic or link to be directed to PDM’s webpage on Cambridge Core. Click on the “Latest Issue” tab to view 32:6.
Below is a list of articles appearing in the December issue and links to the abstracts.
- Mass-Fatality Incident Preparedness Among Faith-Based Organizations - Qi Zhi, Jacqueline A. Merrill, Robyn R. Gershon
- Observational Study on Safety of Prehospital BLS CPAP in Dyspnea - Novneet Sahu, Patrick Matthews, Kathryn Groner, Mia A. Papas, Ross Megargel
- Community Health Workers and Disasters: Lessons Learned from the 2015 Earthquake in Nepal - Karla Fredricks, Hao Dinh, Manita Kusi, Chandra Yogal, Biraj M. Karmacharya, Thomas F. Burke, Brett D. Nelson
- Benefits of Manometer in Non-Invasive Ventilatory Support - Rodrigo Silva Lacerda, Fernando Cesar Anastácio de Lima, Leonardo Pereira Bastos, Anderson Fardin Vinco, Felipe Britto Azevedo Schneider, Yves Luduvico Coelho, Heitor Gomes Costa Fernandes, João Marcus Ramos Bacalhau, Igor Matheus Simonelli Bermudes, Claudinei Ferreira da Silva, Luiza Paterlini da Silva, Rogério Pezato
- A Comparison of Paramedic First Pass Endotracheal Intubation Success Rate of the VividTrac VT-A 100, GlideScope Ranger, and Direct Laryngoscopy Under Simulated Prehospital Cervical Spinal Immobilization Conditions in a Cadaveric Model - Ryan Hodnick, Tony Zitek, Kellen Galster, Stephen Johnson, Bryan Bledsoe, Daniel Ebbs
- Single Rescuer Ventilation Using a Bag Valve Mask with Removable External Handle: A Randomized Crossover Trial - Paul Reed, Baruch Zobrist, Monica Casmaer, Steven G.Schauer, Nurani Kester, Michael D. April
- A Descriptive Analysis of Traction Splint Utilization and IV Analgesia by Emergency Medical Services - Joshua Nackenson, Amado A. Baez, Jonathan P. Meizoso
- Retrospective Analysis of Mosh-Pit-Related Injuries - Andrew M. Milsten, Joseph Tennyson, Stacy Weisberg
- Acute Care Referral Systems in Liberia: Transfer and Referral Capabilities in a Low-Income Country - Jimin Kim, Maria Barreix, Christine Babcock, Corey B. Bills
- Evaluation of Skin Damage from Accidental Removal of a Hemostatic Wound Clamp (The iTClamp) - Jessica L. Mckee, Prasanna Lakshminarasimhan, Ian Atkinson, Anthony J. LaPorta, Andrew W. Kirkpatrick
- Utility of Ambulance Data for Real-Time Syndromic Surveillance: A Pilot in the West Midlands Region, United Kingdom - Dan Todkill, Paul Loveridge, Alex J. Elliot, Roger A. Morbey, Obaghe Edeghere, Tracy Rayment-Bishop, Chris Rayment-Bishop, John E. Thornes, Gillian Smith
- Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices among Members of Households Actively Monitored or Quarantined to Prevent Transmission of Ebola Virus Disease — Margibi County, Liberia: February-March 2015 - Jason A. Wilken, Paran Pordell, Brant Goode, Rachel Jarteh, Zayzay Miller, Benjamin G. Saygar, Leroy Maximore, Watta M. Borbor, Moses Carmue, Gregory W. Walker, Adolphus Yeiahh
- A Pilot Project Demonstrating that Combat Medics Can Safely Administer Parenteral Medications in the Emergency Department - Steven G. Schauer, Cord W. Cunningham, Andrew D. Fisher, Robert A. DeLorenzo
- On-Scene Rescue Breathing Resulting in Gastric Perforation and Massive Pneumoperitoneum - Mike Butterfield, Tamas Peredy
- The Use of Interpreters in Medical Triage during a Refugee Mass-Gathering Incident in Europe - Lykourgos Christos Alexakis, Anastasia Papachristou, Chiara Baruzzi, Angeliki Konstantinou
- Allergic Bronchopulmonary Mycosis due to Exposure to Eurotium herbariorum after the Great East Japan Earthquake - Chiyako Oshikata, Maiko Watanabe, Akemi Saito, Masatsugu Ishida, Seiichi Kobayashi, Rumi Konuma, Yoichi Kamata, Jun Terajima, Junichi Cho, Masaru Yanai, Naomi Tsurikisawa
- Syncope During Competitive Events: Interrogating Heart Rate Monitor Watches May Be Useful! - Oscar Thabouillot, Kevin Bostanci, Francois Bouvier, Nicolae Dumitrescu, Maria Stéfuriac, Philippe Paule, Nicolas-Charles Roche
- EMS Coverage of a Female-Only Event with 10,000 Attendees: Preparation and Implementation in One Week - Wajdan Ibrahim AlAssaf