Statement of Purpose
The Latin America and Caribbean Regional Chapter of WADEM was founded to promote collaboration and integration among regional scientists and health professionals around research and education in the field of disaster and emergency medicine and thus contribute to the improvement of its standards of practice in the Latin American and Caribbean Region.
- Increase membership and promotion of WADEM´s goals across the Latin America and the Caribbean;
- Promote a paradigm shift from “response” to integral emergency risk management;
- Promote a culture of disaster and emergency preparedness in the region;
- Enhance regional development of knowledge, capacities and motivation for disaster risk reduction;
- Adapt and implement international standards in the practice of disaster and emergency medicine in the region and contribute with findings and lessons learned in the process; and
- Establish a community of practice for discussion, communication and exchange of information among regional members about disasters and related subjects.
- Research on key topics that are of common concern for the region;
- Shed light on government decisions that are key for emergency risk management through the members at the local level and through partners at international level;
- Promote joint training activities and sharing of expertise and good practices; and
- To increase the availability of worldwide disaster risk literature to local populations and promote its adaptation and application.
|Sandra Castelblanco Betancourt, RN, MSc Disaster Management
International Consultant in Disaster Risk Management in the Health Sector
Colombia – South America
|Elaine Miranda, ScD, MSc
Departamento de Farmácia e Administração Farmacêutica
Faculdade de Farmácia
Universidade Federal Fluminense
Brazil – South America